School Year Plan
This year, the seventh grade students are excited to study American history (from the time of the earliest Americans, perhaps 20,000 years ago, to the civil war). They will be reading, writing, discussing, questioning and completing research and hands-on activities throughout.
In reading, the seventh grade students will cover a number of novels including The Princess Bride, The Pigman, Johnny Tremain, Surviving the Applewhites, and more. Their reading curriculum will be enhanced by the new vocabulary words they study each week.
Morality is the focus of seventh grade religion, and the students will be learning about important ideas regarding dignity, God’s grace, rights and responsibilities, freedom and choices.
Math with block scheduling investigates:
- Basics (Whole numbers, decimals, fractions, ratios, proportions, percent, exponents, integers) reinforced through the discovery learning process, individualized centers, cooperative group experiences and real life applications
- Geometry and Measurement
- Algebra: Patterns, Rules, Variables and Number Theory, Equations and Inequalities
- Graphing in the Coordinate Plane
This year in science the seventh graders are learning about…
- The nature of life
- Cells, tissues, and organ systems
- Classification of living things
- Viruses and monerans
- Plants with and without seeds
- Sponges, cnidarians, worms and mollusks
- Arthropods and echinoderms
- Fishes and amphibians
- Reptiles and birds
- Skeletal and muscular systems
- Digestive system
- Circulatory system
- Respiratory and excretory systems
- Nervous and endocrine systems
- Reproduction and development
- Immune system
- Alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
- Applied genetics
- Changes in living things over time
- Interactions among living things
- Cycles in nature
- Exploring earth’s biomes
- Conservation of living things
This year in drama the students will be focusing on musical production preparation.
This year in science the students will be presented with an introduction to ASL. Students will learn to fingerspell and to count from 0-100. Students will also learn basic conversation skills.
The art students will spend most of their time preparing sets for each quarterly drama production, but there will also be time to experiment with paper mache, draw portraits and more.